Welcome!

Welcome to the Lend A Paw Blog!
Where you can find up to date information about the program, current LAP teams and LAP therapy dogs candidates, scheduled visits, and much more.
Lend A Paw is committed to enhancing the lives of individuals experiencing physical, mental, emotional or life challenges by providing therapy dogs to offer warmth, compassion, unconditional love and a healing environment. The program is designed to rescue dogs from the shelter and train them to be therapy dogs. Individuals are also invited to join our LAP team with their own dogs provided the dogs have the required obedience and temperament for therapy work.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Volunteer's Experience

On Wednesday, February 8, 2012, Cali and I experienced our second therapy visit with Lend A Paw. We spent lunchtime with developmentally challenged adults at New Horizons in North Hills, CA. New Horizons is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping adults with developmental disabilities reach their potential and fulfill their dreams. New Horizons provides job training and placement, education, counseling, residential services, and social programs for individuals age 18 and older.

The hour was a whirlwind of questions regarding me and Cali.
Cali was a very popular girl!

What's the dog's name? "Cali."
Is it a he or a she? "She."
How old is she? "Two. She'll be three in March."
What's her birthday? "I don't know exactly."
What's your name? "Lydia."
What's your birthday? "February 27."
What's your Mother's name? "Beverly"
What's her birthday? "November 30, 1931."
(One of the ladies that was asking about the birthdays told me that my birthday was two weeks from Monday and that in the year of my mom's birth the Cab Calloway song "Minnie The Moocher" was on the charts - she was right on both accounts (I had to look up wikipedia about the song.)
Does Cali eat Candy? "No, she eats dog treats. I have some with me, would you like to give her a treat?"
Can I smell your hair? "No."
Why not? "Because that's a personal boundary I have."
Can I see your eyes? "Yes (I take off my sunglasses.)"
Can you make this sound (one lady was big on asking me to repeat sounds she was making)? "No, you're doing it well enough for both of us."
Is that magic? (regarding some of Cali's tricks.) "No, I taught her how to do that."

I made an assortment of mini Valentine's Day cards!
I made an assortment of mini Valentine's Day cards to hand out. There were 6 different images of Cali. Each card had a photo of Cali on the front and handwritten on the back was "Be My Valentine xoxo Cali." Many people asked Cali to shake. I showed them that instead of shaking, she does "high five." I also showed her doing "leave it" with both a treat and her ball, and "take it," allowing her to eat the treat or take the ball. She also showed off "beg," "up" (to jump up on a planter where you could also sit) and to stand up and put her paws on my chest, "sit," "tap touch" where she touches my index finger with her nose, left and right, "flips" where she leaps in a circle, "stay" so she could pose for photos with people, and "catch" and "drop" with her tennis ball. The residents really enjoyed throwing her ball and they told me their favorite trick was Cali's flips.

At one point, when I felt like Cali needed a little break to reconnect with me, I had her stand up with her paws on my chest and I gave her a hug and a kiss. Four of the New Horizons students surrounded us and each stuck their head in for a kiss from Cali. One by one, she gave each a kiss. This was my favorite moment of the visit and I sure wish I had it on video or photo. Cali is not an overly kissy dog, so I wasn't sure if each person would get their kiss, but she did not disappoint any of them!

Story and photography by Lydia Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment